We are independent & ad-supported. We may earn a commission for purchases made through our links.

Advertiser Disclosure

Our website is an independent, advertising-supported platform. We provide our content free of charge to our readers, and to keep it that way, we rely on revenue generated through advertisements and affiliate partnerships. This means that when you click on certain links on our site and make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn more.

How We Make Money

We sustain our operations through affiliate commissions and advertising. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission from the merchant at no additional cost to you. We also display advertisements on our website, which help generate revenue to support our work and keep our content free for readers. Our editorial team operates independently from our advertising and affiliate partnerships to ensure that our content remains unbiased and focused on providing you with the best information and recommendations based on thorough research and honest evaluations. To remain transparent, we’ve provided a list of our current affiliate partners here.

What is a Bonded Title?

Malcolm Tatum
Updated Feb 21, 2024
Our promise to you
WikiMotors is dedicated to creating trustworthy, high-quality content that always prioritizes transparency, integrity, and inclusivity above all else. Our ensure that our content creation and review process includes rigorous fact-checking, evidence-based, and continual updates to ensure accuracy and reliability.

Our Promise to you

Founded in 2002, our company has been a trusted resource for readers seeking informative and engaging content. Our dedication to quality remains unwavering—and will never change. We follow a strict editorial policy, ensuring that our content is authored by highly qualified professionals and edited by subject matter experts. This guarantees that everything we publish is objective, accurate, and trustworthy.

Over the years, we've refined our approach to cover a wide range of topics, providing readers with reliable and practical advice to enhance their knowledge and skills. That's why millions of readers turn to us each year. Join us in celebrating the joy of learning, guided by standards you can trust.

Editorial Standards

At WikiMotors, we are committed to creating content that you can trust. Our editorial process is designed to ensure that every piece of content we publish is accurate, reliable, and informative.

Our team of experienced writers and editors follows a strict set of guidelines to ensure the highest quality content. We conduct thorough research, fact-check all information, and rely on credible sources to back up our claims. Our content is reviewed by subject matter experts to ensure accuracy and clarity.

We believe in transparency and maintain editorial independence from our advertisers. Our team does not receive direct compensation from advertisers, allowing us to create unbiased content that prioritizes your interests.

A bonded title is another name for a document known as a Certificate of Title Surety. Utilized in lieu of a standard car title, obtaining the bond makes it possible to move forward with registering the motor vehicle with the local Department of Motor Vehicles or DMV. The document also serves as proof of ownership, making it possible to purchase insurance for the vehicle.

In many locations, it is possible to obtain a bonded title for a number of different types of motor vehicles. Along with cars, trucks, buses, and travel trailers are also eligible. It is not unusual for a jurisdiction to also approve a title bond for motorcycles and campers.

While each jurisdiction sets their own criteria that must be met in order to qualify for a bonded title, there are a few requirements that appear to be common to most locations. First, an attempt to locate a legitimate car title must be made before application for the bond is made. Second, the vehicle must be bought or received as a gift; it is usually not possible to obtain a bonded title on any vehicle that is found abandoned. Last, the local jurisdiction is likely to require the payment of taxes that are in excess of the current value of the vehicle; this is different from the usual practice in many jurisdictions that based the applicable taxes on the current assessed value of the vehicle.

It is important to note that while a bonded title does help to establish car ownership, the document is not considered to be on a par with a car title. To a degree, the bond document is a provisional title of ownership that can be challenged for some period of time after the document is issued. In many jurisdictions, it is possible for a bonded title to be challenged for up to three years after the issue date. Detailed information is typically provided when an application for a bonded title is requested from the local tax or DMV office.

After the period specified by the local jurisdiction to challenge a bonded title has passed, it is possible to convert the provisional title into a standard car note or title. Generally, this time period is deemed sufficient for anyone with a legitimate claim to the vehicle to come forward and take legal action to establish that claim. If the claimant is successful, the bonded title usually is declared null and void and the owner recognized by the court can proceed with registering the vehicle in his or her name.

WikiMotors is dedicated to providing accurate and trustworthy information. We carefully select reputable sources and employ a rigorous fact-checking process to maintain the highest standards. To learn more about our commitment to accuracy, read our editorial process.
Malcolm Tatum
By Malcolm Tatum , Writer
Malcolm Tatum, a former teleconferencing industry professional, followed his passion for trivia, research, and writing to become a full-time freelance writer. He has contributed articles to a variety of print and online publications, including WikiMotors, and his work has also been featured in poetry collections, devotional anthologies, and newspapers. When not writing, Malcolm enjoys collecting vinyl records, following minor league baseball, and cycling.

Discussion Comments

By anon1000840 — On Jan 09, 2019

I just bought a car and the person who sold it to me is giving me the run around. I have the actual title but he never signed it. Is this an issue to get a bonded title? He stopped answering my phone calls or answers with excuses. can i get a bonded title in Georgia. What is my next step?

By anon998381 — On May 30, 2017

@keitta28 I'm having the same issue as you. Have you found any help?

By anon964835 — On Aug 07, 2014

Where do you get a title bond?

By anon941189 — On Mar 21, 2014

So does a mechanic's lien override a bonded title?

By keitta28 — On Jan 09, 2014

I purchased a car from a guy who had purchased the car himself three months prior to selling it to me. However, he never registered the car so when I went to my local tag office to register the car in my name, I was unable to do so. Because the title that he gave me is a dealers title and not in his name. The people at the tag office said that he has to get a T-11 form filled out by the dealer who he bought the car from and also has to register the car is his name in order to transfer it over to me. Only now, the guy is not cooperating or responding anymore.

He basically took my money and left me with a car that I am unable to do anything with, because I can't get it registered into my name. Am I able to do the title bond for this situation? Because I am completely at a loss about what I can do.

By anon339231 — On Jun 21, 2013

My new husband bought a car while he was stationed in Germany last year and when he had it shipped back here to Hawaii, he tried to get it registered here but the DMV said that he needed a title, but in Germany, they don't issue titles.

My husband said they just transfer the the car from one person's account to the other and the only paperwork he has on it is the loan info and the lien statement, all in his name. He also has proof that he has insurance in his name on it from Germany.

The DMV also said that he needed to contact NC because that was the last person registered on the title but it is not the person he bought the car from, and NC said they could not issue a title, that only the previous title owner can apply for a lost title. I went in search of this person but had no luck so now I'm stuck. Help!

By anon337247 — On Jun 04, 2013

I bought a truck, paid for in full on Dec 2009 from a lease to own place. I paid on it for two years, and the agreement was as of the last payment, the vehicle was mine. They gave me the yellow copy of the application of certificate of title, but I never applied, because the truck broke down right before I made the last payment, and now, four years later, the truck is fixed and running like a top, but when we went to get a tag and title so we could drive it. The tag office said there was a lien holder!

I had never heard of these people before, and my yellow copy said there were no lien holders whatsoever. Apparently, since the time I bought the truck, the dealership defaulted to this other finance company, and they took possession of their vehicles. Although mine was not on the lot -- it was with me the entire time -- they got my file and put their names as lien holders. The account manager at this company said if I were to get her a bill of sale, she would release the title to me, but she lied. The dealership where we paid for the truck just went out of business a couple of months ago, but still had our information and helped us, but she's saying until these other people pay them, they're not going to give us our title!

This truck is the only thing we have left in the world after suffering severe losses through this past recession, and I was so much looking forward to going back to work, but I don't know exactly what to do now. This cannot be legal! She told my husband to make the other people pay them, and he told her that he was not their bill collectors! Please help us!

By anon300892 — On Nov 01, 2012

I bought a Chevy pickup in 2001. When I went to trade it in, the car dealer said the financial company wrote off my car as a loss because I hadn't made payments for years. How do I get a pink slip on the car?

By anon292250 — On Sep 18, 2012

I was wondering where are these cars bought from, like what state and the plate number and make of cars? I work at the DMV. I could maybe help you out.

By evanblake — On Aug 28, 2012

I bought a car from a couple a few months ago. I made payments on it (started in April 2012 ended in June 2012). I paid $1800 for the car and it has been paid in full for two months, but they keep giving me the run around when they actually answer the phone. They told me they filed for a lost title, but my lawyer called up to the DMV and found out they never actually filed. But I do know they are the owners of the car and there are no liens on it. So now I need to know what I need to do to get a bonded title, or if that's even what i should do. so I can get tags, inspection and insurance, and the car will be legally mine. I have all the paperwork and receipts.

By anon278483 — On Jul 06, 2012

I bought a car from a dealership with a trade in and down payment. The dealership went out of business before I could get the pink slip and they are not answering my phone calls or letters. I have registered the car consistently and have had no major accidents or tickets. Now it's not running and I need a pink slip to sell it.

By mocha25 — On May 20, 2011

I drove a long way to get this car. do you think that since there is a lien on the car it will get taken from me? What about my money I lost? This guy is avoiding my phone calls. He claims that he had done some work for this lady and she was about to lose her house so she could not pay him for the work he did for her, so she gave him the car. He told me he didn't have any license so he needed to sell this car. What can i do? I need help asap please!

By mocha25 — On May 20, 2011

I just purchased a vehicle from a gentleman today, but he didn't have a title and the car is in some lady's name. i don't know how to find her and he won't answer his phone. but dmv did tell me her name and said she had a lien on the car and told me to try to get in contact with her but i don't have her number. and i need to know how to go about this?

i can't get the car registered or tags changed over from my other car. someone please help me.

By anon171016 — On Apr 28, 2011

You should get a bill of sale showing that you did buy this vehicle and go to a local insurance company and get a title bond. Hope this helps.

By anon161936 — On Mar 21, 2011

There is a title service in Beaumont, Texas that can help with Bonded Titles for Texas residents. She retired from the DMV and is very helpful. I think it is called Auto Title Recovery.

By dega2010 — On Jul 26, 2010

@boathugger: You could also check with an insurance agency. Lost title bonds are usually freely written with your full documentation of the reason of the loss of the title. The purpose of these bonds is to guarantee to the state that you are the legitimate owner and that no one else has a claim to the vehicle.

By StormyKnight — On Jul 26, 2010

@boathugger: You might could go to your local courthouse and talk to someone who does vehicle registration. They would probably know what to tell you to do.

By BoatHugger — On Jul 26, 2010

I purchased a used vehicle from a gentleman and he couldn’t find the title for it. I’m not sure what to do. Do I need to get a lost title bond?

Malcolm Tatum

Malcolm Tatum


Malcolm Tatum, a former teleconferencing industry professional, followed his passion for trivia, research, and writing...
Read more
WikiMotors, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.

WikiMotors, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.